Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Mommy Effect

Lee-Anne gave birth to my third daughter, Olivia, Just over four months ago. It's been really cool to see Lee-Anne with Liv, who is her first child. This has posed some challenges, but more often than not it has been fascinating to watch. Throughout the first four months of Liv's short yet very active life I've noticed one trait that has been in common in everyone of my childrens' lives and in those of their cousins. I call it the Mommy Effect.

Their are times when Liv will start crying, for one or more of the various reasons that babies cry, and LA will be busy and/or I'll be the one that hears Liv first. So, being a good daddy, I go and pick up Olivia and usually I can decipher the problem pretty quickly and then go about providing the proper solution and get that all approving smile from Liv as if to say, "Way to go dad, you got it right!". Then their are those other times when daddy just won't do.

I'll be holding Liv trying to sooth her, tears streaming down her face, puffy red eyes, the works. Lee-Anne will walk through the door, Liv's head swings around to mommy and the crying slows to a whimper for a few seconds. It's like the kid has built in radar. Then Liv will decide she needs to tell mommy all about why she's upset and how could mommy leave her with daddy and so on and so on. Then I pass Liv over to LA and life is good. Suddenly Liv will eat burp and sleep in a matter of minutes. I've been trying to get these things accomplished for over an hour. I get screaming, squirmy kid. Lee-Anne gets her and the kid is fed, burped and passed out in a matter of 15 minutes. She gets hold of mommy and she is ok. The Mommy Effect.

On a side note. After 3 daughters I'm getting really good at changing a squirming, crying kids diaper. ;)

-C-

No comments: