Monday, April 19, 2010

Why?!!??!?!?

I'm very sorry I haven't been posting. I have so much to get out, but blogs are public. So, writing about those issues here would be like, no, would be throwing fuel on a fire. Not gone' do it, wouldn't be prudent.

I have a bit of a beef this time as I have not been having the greatest life adventure lately. I have discovered for myself a type of behavior that will bring out the nastiest, ugliest, take no prisoners sonofabitch you will ever meet. I mean it, this guy has testosterone, adrenaline and pure rage coursing through his veins. The behavior that seems to bring out this endearing quality in me is when people pick on others when they are weak and vulnerable. I think this has to be one of the cruelest things someone can do to another person.
I don't understand the motivation behind this act, even though I have been guilty of it myself, it pains me to say. We all know from experience what it feels like to be on the receiving end of this behavior. You know the time when you've been ripped apart either physically, mentally, emotionally or any combination of the three, and you're still being attacked? I'm sure you all went right back to a time when you felt that way. It's horrible. We all know what that feels like yet we are compelled to 'go for the kill' when others are beaten and weak and torn. Why?!?!?!
Why if we found are friend hurting would we kick them some more? Why would we hurl words and insults at them? Why would we want them to have that sinking, overwhelming, horrible tightness in their chest? Why would we then belittle them if they showed any sign of emotion?!!? I've witnessed this one way too many times. Think back to high school when you would see a bunch of the older jock types corner a little nerdy kid and pick on him until he cries and then pick on him some more. I was one of the jock types and it would make me so mad when some of the guys would go do that to someone. Even though I'm in my thirties I still witness this cruelty amongst 'mature' adults. It makes me sick and still makes me just as mad. Here's an interesting way to look at the situation with some intellect. What happens when you poke a wounded animal? One of two things. Either you eventually kill the animal or it turns on you and wounds you in an effort to defend itself. Neither of those options seem all that appealing to me. How about you?
Even though I have been guilty of bullying like this I tend to be more of the comforting type. I find a good hug and/or a comforting word are lot more effective. For guys it's pretty easy. The conversation goes something like this, "You alright? Wanna get a beer?" "Yeah, that sounds good right now." They go have a beer, play some pool, watch sports, blow off some steam and move on with life. I've found in my experience so far that a good solid, enveloping hug tends to go a long way with comforting women and chocolate doesn't hurt either.
All that to say that if we could just give our friends and spouses and children and parents a hand up and help them dust themselves off and heal instead of seeing if we can deliver the fatal blow we would be much better off.

It would be cool to get some feedback.

-C-

1 comment:

Dosdandelions said...

Oh how right you are! An enveloping hug is magic. It might have saved my first marriage :) And, further, all enveloping hugs and chocolate must not come with any ulterior motive attached because the wounded can smell that a mile away. I know you know that. You are an amazing man Colin. I am proud of you.